This post follows on from the one on tree stump grinding, that was the heavy work, we took down the dread leylandii, cut up the trunks for firewood, chipped the branches for compost and ground out the roots. The grinding process left behind an incredibly light soil and ground wood mixture which feels ideal for planting. Removal of the trees left this part of the garden open to the farmer’s field behind us and, more worryingly, to the prevailing wind, so we need to put in a screen for both and decided on laurel. It’s a tough plant and, if allowed to get out of control, a monster, however, contained it will provide a dense hedge, presumably good for wildlife, a wind break and a screen to the field.
A couple of weeks ago I went to our local auction house that has a plant sale every Friday, I had checked the online catalogue and there was laurel hedging in the sale, thirty plants with an estimate of £30 to £50. I’m not an old hand at auctions but have bid at a few so I set my maximum hammer price at £40 for the lot and determined to stick to that. For me this is the most important decision to take about any item in an auction, you have to set the price you are willing to pay ahead of the sale so that you don’t get carried away in the white heat the bidding process. The hammer came down on my £35, not a bad deal but remember to add the buyers premium of 15% plus tax (VAT) thereon at 20%, in total £41.30 for 30 strong plants with good root systems.
Yesterday I started planting and in only a couple of, very cold on the hands, hours, got them all in. I’d watered them in their pots before planting and did so again once they were in the ground. I like to think they’re in a reasonably straight line but know it doesn’t really matter, in a year or two the stems won’t be so visible and the foliage will knit together.
So that was my journey from 20 leylandii to 30 laurel.